Saturday, May 15, 2010

Soil is low?

I have a strip about 20 feet long, about 2 feet wide where my flowers and shrubbery grow. Yesterday, I notice a bulb on top of the soil and I noticed that there are spots where the soil is very low. My question is, what should I use to fill in these spots? Can I just spread potting soil? Will I need to fertilize the soil? After I add soil, how long should I wait before I plant anything in that area? I have begonias in that area and I need to add more. I do appreciate any and all tips/advice.

Soil is low?
Potting soil,used compost,top soil ,woodbark or leafmould will all serve to level the soil.Scatter Growmore granular fertiliser at 2 oz; to the sq;yd; and rake in lightly.


By the time it's warm enough to plant out begonias,the soil should have settled.
Reply:You can buy compost or potting soil with fertilizer already in it and have your soil and fertilizer in one. Some sewage treatment plants sell a fertilzer made from sludge and it is best for use on non-eating gardens like yours (not for vegetables). It is cheap and very fertile. Place that and some mulch and then put the plants through the mulch.


No comments:

Post a Comment