Sunday, April 26, 2009

My begonia had all green leaves, but now they're turning reddish and pale green..whats up?

Hi! I'm a fairly new plant owner, had fairly good luck, but yes, now they are funny colored. Also, my other begonia seems to be permanently stunted, hasn't grown new leaves in a while, but still has its few healthy leaves. I'm a bit unsure whats up. Help, please? Thanks a bunch!

My begonia had all green leaves, but now they're turning reddish and pale green..whats up?
Begonias dont need much water, so you may be overwatering it. They are also a very very tender plant. They need a fair amount of sun to be healthy. Also, check your soil- if there is any mold on the top of the soil (oftentimes caused by overwatering and warm air) you need to remove that and replace it. Also try a gentle fertilizer. I worked in a greenhouse for a while and this is what I remember about the begonias. Good luck.
Reply:Sounds to me like they are getting too much direct sunlight and possibly too much water. Begonias do best for me in dappled shade. I have also had good success with them in east facing window boxes where they only get morning sun. I am speaking of the tuberous perennial types but I believe the same rules might apply to the annual 'Wax Begonias'. Good luck.


No comments:

Post a Comment