Saturday, November 14, 2009

Can someone give me tips on caring for Begonias either indoors or out?

My friend gave me one and I need to learn how to care for it.


It is indoors and flowering. I would like to transplant it but don't want to kill it. I live in Indiana.

Can someone give me tips on caring for Begonias either indoors or out?
There are two kinds of begonias: some are what is called "tuberous" and then there are an easier kind you can plant outside and they do well (I live in Texas).





Chances are, the kind that comes in a pot is a tuberous begonia, meaning that it's like a tulip; it's not grown from a seed but a bulb.





Often, they will not bloom very easily, and will not bloom again until next spring.





Keeping it going is tough. Don't worry if it stops making flowers, that's ok. Go to a good plant store and ask about how you can replant it and what kind of dirt medium is recommended, including food. You should leave it indoors out of really cold areas and not in direct sunlight.





In Texas, we NEVER plant them in the ground or take them outside, really. It's too hot and dry here over the summer.





In Indiana, I'm not sure. But it will need lots of spritzing with a sprayer, and good, perfect dirt medium of a specific type.





Ask at a plant nursery how to replant it, or go online to a plant site. You will find better experts.
Reply:I would let it finish it's blooming before transplanting. Provide bright light and water when it dries out. In the late spring you can set the plant outdoors but be careful with full sun exposure as it will burn the plants leaves. I put mine on the porch where it is protected.


No comments:

Post a Comment