Saturday, November 14, 2009

How do I keep my begonias alive??

I heard they don't like a lot of water, so I only water them when the soil is dry and I make sure it is thoroughly drained before putting the bottom of the pot on. The leaves have been turing brown on the edges. Are I watering too much? Too little? Oh, and it's an indoor plant in my office. Also, should I prune? Any advice would be much appreciated. Thanks!

How do I keep my begonias alive??
Begonias require an acid soil, one that has a low pH value: for example in California oak leaf mold is used as a mulch especially for Rex Begonias. Now some other growers have had very good success with other soil mixtures, some iwth a heavy soil mixed with peat moss, old cow manure and sharp sand makes a good potting soil. Some people prefer a lighter-textured soil, such as a light garden soil mixed with leaf miold with or without manure. Make sure any light garden soil you prepare is friable and porous. Comparing and experimenting is the best way to solve the problem of the correct soil for the best growing conditions in your area and also remember different Begonias require different soil, such as the "Paul Bruant" is one that requires a slightly heavier soil than some of the other fibrous and rhizomatous Begonias.








When planting, be sure to plant carefully and firmly, but not deeper than the division line between stem and root. They send their roots out sideways to the surface. Remember for maximum growth the shallow root system must never dry out so carefully water and mulch. As for feeding, Begonias need some feeding, but it should be done sparingly. Read the labels on the commercial fertilizers and decide to you want to use them as is or do you ant to use the liquid fertilizers, this is a personal decisions. As a rule, I have found that weak solutions applied at weekly intervals are more effective than heavy applications at long intervals. Be sure during the active growing season to add plenty of water, and make sure also that they have good drainage.








If the plants are allowed to stand in water they will sour or foul and the root system will deteriorate so rapidly that the plants will be lost before anything can be done to change them.








Now as to light, most Begonias grow best in slightly shaded positions. If they get to the point that they are leggy and spindly, this means they need more sunlight. Species with thin leaves may be subject to sunburn. Don't forget in really strong ight the plants will need more water than if they are grown in dense shade. Experience will determine the correct light, water and also soil and fertilizer for your area.








Begonias thrive best in about 55 degrees at night to 70 degrees in the daytime
Reply:I had begonias last year on my balcony.I had no problem with them.From what i read it said begonias love water but not much sunshine.My grew quite large and had beautiful flowers.I believe they grow much better outside.I'm getting them again this year.Hope i have been of some help to you.Maybe you should take your plant home and transplant it to a bigger pot and see how it does then.Good luck.


No comments:

Post a Comment