Saturday, November 14, 2009

Scarlet Begonias?

Has anyone heard this song "Scarlet Begonias" by the Grateful Dead? If so, what is it about? So many people have so many different views about what this song is about. Is it about love, or the one that got away, or the one you let go?

Scarlet Begonias?
As I was walkin' round Grosvenor Square


Not a chill to the winter


but a nip to the air


From the other direction


she was calling my eye


It could be an illusion


but I might as well try


Might as well try.





She had rings on her fingers and


bells on her shoes,


And I knew without askin' she was


into the blues


Scarlet begonias


tucked into her curls


I knew right away


she was not like other girls--


other girls








In the thick of the evening


when the dealing got rough


She was too pat to open and


too cool to bluff


As I picked up my matches and


was closing the door


I had one of those flashes:


I'd been there before--


been there before.








[Bridge]


I ain't often right


but I've never been wrong


It seldom turns out the way


it does in the song


Once in a while


you get shown the light


in the strangest of places


if you look at it right








Well there ain't nothin' wrong


with the way she moves


Or scarlet begonias or a


touch of the blues


And there's nothing wrong with


the love that's in her eye


I had to learn the hard way


to let her pass by--


let her pass by








The wind in the willows played Tea for Two


The sky was yellow and the sun was blue


Strangers stopped strangers


just to shake their hand


Everybody's playing


in the Heart of Gold Band


Heart of Gold Band
Reply:really, i always thought it was about trippin' with a hippie chick.


No comments:

Post a Comment